The Church Business Administrator provides business and operational support to church members, executive church teams, and pastoral staff. The financial administrator will manage church finances, property rental, and office support. He/she will also provide administrative support for the church and Lead Pastor.
Job Skills and Requirements:
- Can conceptualize his/her administrative and managerial work as ministry and verbalize the function of the job as ministry.
- Practices, emphasizes, and fosters effective communication in the church organization.
- Must be a person of great character and integrity.
- Must be a team player and team builder.
- The ability to manage a consensus decision-making process.
- Knowledge of computer systems, including word processing, electronic communication software, membership software, and financial reporting and accounting software. Must be willing to train on all systems regularly to become more proficient. (Some currently used include Slack, Asana, Google Drive, Google documents, Excel, Planning Center, etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the church accounting software (quickbooks) is a plus but not required. Must be willing to train on the system if not knowledgeable.
- Attention to detail and precision in all church documents.
- A commitment to good interpersonal relations, teamwork, and support of church ministries.
- A commitment to confidentiality regarding all account records, both of the church, staff, and the members.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Oversees the receipt, deposit, and disbursement of all church funds.
- Owns the processes and systems for distributing church funds such as purchase order requests.
- Oversees a financial record system for the church and directs its operations.
- Oversees the preschool financials and expenses.
- Oversees the purchasing process and maintains vendor relationships.
- Supervises the preparation of monthly financial reports to the church ministry teams, church trustees, elders and pastors.
- Maintains a proper cash flow control to meet obligations.
- Works with the Trustees to help eliminate debt while at the same time making sure Journey Church is able to have effective and impactful ministry.
- Works with the church elders, trustees and pastors to prepare an annual budget for approval by the congregation and implement it upon approval.
- Works with the Trustees and Lead Pastor to obtain or restructure any long or short-term debt financing.
- Oversees the administering of the payroll for church employees.
- Ensures all quarterly tax reports (941, W-2) are promptly paid and timely filed.
Personnel Management and Human Resources:
- Maintains personnel records and salary information for all staff.
- Ensures the church’s compliance with federal and state labor laws.
- Communicates any benefits provided to the church staff.
- Develops and administers policies and procedures concerning the use of all church properties and facilities.
- Works with church members and outside organizations in coordinating the use of church facilities for meetings and activities.
- Evaluates periodically if not annually the insurance needs of the church.
- Maintains tags for all church vehicles and trailers.
- Oversees contracts to the maintenance of all office equipment and computer systems.
- Ensures that proper computer backup is routinely maintained for all financial files.
- Administers the church office budget and buildings & grounds budget, including utilities and contract services.
- Responsible for oversight of internal financial church communications.
- Responsible for communicating with the Trustees through a financial report that is sent to them by Tuesday of each week.
- Communicates weekly with the Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor any financial reports.