What does it mean to be generous?
Showing a readiness to give more of something than is strictly necessary or expected.
Trust Jesus with what seems insurmountable- impossible; too great to overcome.
When God calls you to be available, He is inviting you to take part in His vision, His purpose, His will, and His very heart’s desire for the lost to be brought home to Him.
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us… 2 Corinthians 5:20 ESV
Jesus Taught Selfless Generosity
12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:12-13 NLT
Jesus Demonstrated Selfless Generosity
5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:5-8 ESV
7 “Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven has come. 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!” Matthew 10:7-8 NLT
3 Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Don’t take any money with you, nor a traveler’s bag, nor an extra pair of sandals… Luke 10:3-4 NLT
Don’t worry about your own NEEDS
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and ALL these things will be ADDED to you. Matthew 6:33 ESV
Don’t worry about your own ABILITIES
The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus. Acts 4:13 NLT
Contagious Generosity requires:
● Loving God FIRST – Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and strength. Mark 12:30
● RECKLESS LOVE – Without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action. Ref. John 15:13
● Denying “SELF” – Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. Matthew 16:24
● TRUST in God’s Word above ALL -Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
● Being a DOER of God’s Word – But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. James 1:22