Building on a Solid Foundation
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.” 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 for he taught with real authority—quite unlike their teachers of religious law. Matthew 7:24-29 NLT
- The wise listen and follow.
- The foolish person doesn’t obey.
Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble. Proverbs 13:20 NLT
Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces. Proverbs 13:20 The Message
AS HUMANS, WE DON’T GROW WELL IN ROWS. WE GROW BEST IN THE CONTEXT OF RELATIONSHIPS.
- We are affected and impacted by the people around us.
- The people we choose to do life with can determine the direction and affect the quality of our life.
- Our value systems can be changed when we spend time with “friends” that have different values, whether good or bad.
WE ALL GRAVITATE TOWARD ACCEPTANCE.
- We all want to be accepted.
- We all want to be loved.
- We all want to be included.
- We all want to be valued.
1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory. Romans 5:1-2 NLT
8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. 9 And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. 10 For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. 11 So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God. Romans 5:8-11 NLT
WE ALL NEED STRUCTURED RELATIONSHIPS IN OUR LIVES.
- We take jobs.
- We go to a particular college.
- We enroll our kids in certain schools.
- We get our kids on certain sports teams.
YOUR PROGRESS SPIRITUALLY HINGES ON YOUR WILLINGNESS TO GET INVOLVED IN STRUCTURED RELATIONSHIPS.
- Life Groups
- Accountability Groups
- Bible Study Groups
- Prayer Groups
- Support Groups
- Family Devotions
WE ALL NEED COMMUNITY.
- Doing life together
- Praying for one another
- Serving one another
- Encouraging one another
- Caring for one another
23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. 24Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. Hebrews 10:23-25 NLT
TIME IS CRITICAL!
- We have to take time for relationships.
- We need to meet regularly.
- Make a commitment to invest time in what matters most.
Next steps for me today…
- Join a Life Group today
- Hang out with wise people who listen to Jesus