Words of Encouragement
2 Now I appeal to Euodia and Syntyche. Please, because you belong to the Lord, settle your disagreement. 3 And I ask you, my true partner, to help these two women, for they worked hard with me in telling others the Good News. They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life. Philippians 4:2-3 NLT
- Because you belong to the Lord, live like it.
- In order to have joy, you have to get the junk out of the way.
- In order to have joy, we sometimes need help.
4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5 Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7 NLT
- Paul commands us to not be anxious; it’s not an option.
- Pray about everything!
- Give thanks for what God has done and what He will do.
- Peace from God – our peace comes to us as a gift from God.
- Peace with God – a relationship that we enter into with God through the finished work of Jesus Christ.
- Peace of God – a peace that is on guard over our heart and mind.
8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9 NLT
- Paul is reminding them again to stay focused on Jesus.
- My focus determines my direction and my peace.
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2 NLT
Paul’s Thanks for Their Gifts
10 How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty. 15 As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. 17 I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness. 18 At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. 20 Now all glory to God our Father forever and ever! Amen. Philippians 4:10-20 NLT
- Paul was a missionary on a mission to share the Gospel.
- Paul had learned to be content in every situation.
- In order to be content in all things, he needed the strength of Jesus Christ.
- Paul reminding the Philippians about giving wasn’t because he was needy, but because it was good for them to be givers.
- The Big Give is our offering that supports missionaries and ministries sharing the gospel, just as the Philippians gave to support Paul’s mission to share the Good News.
- You can’t outgive God!
Next steps for me today…
- Make a strained relationship right today by forgiving like Jesus.
- Make peace with God through the finished work of Jesus Christ!
- Be a giver that gives sacrificially so that missionaries can fulfill their mission.