“LESS IS MORE”
FOUR THINGS WE WILL UNPACK OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS:
- Less is More
- Stress is Bad
- Giving is Good
- Tomorrow Matters
WE’VE BEEN PROGRAMED TO BELIEVE THAT MORE IS BETTER.
Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind. Ecclesiastes 4:6 NIV
WE NEED TO DEFINE WHAT REALLY MATTERS.
If you had a limited time to live, what would you put on that list?
“Life will eventually trash your trophies.” Dr. James Dobson
15 Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die.
16 The wind blows, and we are gone— as though we had never been here. Psalm 103:15-16 NLT
Dr Dobson asked a student: “You know what will matter most at the end of your life?” “What will matter most is who you loved, who loved you, and what you did in the service of the Lord. There is nothing else that will stand the test of time.”
So why do we spend so much of our lives pursuing those things that don’t really matter?
- Because the culture around us says stuff is important.
- Because the culture around us says stuff makes you happy.
- Because that is what has been modeled for us.
- Because we battle the flesh.
WE ALL NEED TO LEARN TO:
♦ CUT BACK!
- Less stuff – more friends
- Less stuff – more time with family
- Less stuff – more quality experiences
♦ CLEAR OUT!
Parable of the Rich Fool
13 Then someone called from the crowd, “Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father’s estate with me.” 14 Jesus replied, “Friend, who made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?” 15 Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.” 16 Then he told them a story: “A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. 17 He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ 18 Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods.19 And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’ 21 “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.” Luke 12:13-21 NLT
- Do your family a favor and get rid of the junk before you die.
- Give stuff away.
- Bless a ministry.
- Every time you get something, give something away.
♦ PAY OFF!
- Owing on stuff is stressful.
- Paying off stuff is freeing.
- Living paycheck to paycheck is stressful.
- Having margin is peaceful.
- It’s ok to own things as long as they don’t own you.
Next steps for me today…
- Get your heart right.
- Cut Back!
- Clear Out!
- Pay Off!