December 19, 2021
1 Let all that I am praise the Lord. O Lord my God, how great you are! You are robed with honor and majesty. 2 You are dressed in a robe of light… Psalm 104:1-2a NLT
1 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He existed in the beginning with God. 3 God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.
4 The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. 6 God sent a man, John the Baptist, 7 to tell about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. 8 John himself was not the light; he was simply a witness to tell about the light. 9 The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He came into the very world he created, but the world didn’t recognize him. 11 He came to his own people, and even they rejected him. 12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13 They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God. 14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son. John 1:1-14 NLT
THE “LIGHT OF THE WORLD” IS THE SON OF GOD.
- Jesus was there in the beginning.
12 “Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” Revelation 22:12-13 NLT
- That’s why he chose very carefully the time and place for saying, “I am the light of the world.”
- The Feast of Shelters/Tabernacles memorialized God’s holy dwelling place, the desert Tabernacle, the design of which was given to Moses by God Himself.
- Light played a very significant part in this festival.
- Four huge gold menorahs (candelabras with seven candles) fitted with wicks from priestly garments were put in place in the Temple court.
- “Light” recalled the light of the Glory Cloud as Yahweh led Israel through the wilderness, the Pillar of Fire.
- Jesus would make this proclamation in John 8.
12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” John 8:12 NLT
THE LIGHT THAT LEADS TO LIFE.
14 Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region.15 He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone. 16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17 The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written: 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, 19 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.”
Luke 4:14-19 NLT
- Jesus is the Good News.
- Jesus came to set us free.
- Jesus gives us eyes to see.
Next Steps for me today…
- Follow Jesus today.
- Allow Jesus to set me free from the bondage of sin.