The Prayer of Jabez
9 There was a man named Jabez who was more honorable than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful. 10 He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!” And God granted him his request.
1 Chronicles 4:9-10 NLT
- Jabez states God’s lordship and headship over his life.
- When you pray, begin by acknowledging who God is!
- Jabez asks for God’s blessing. “Oh, that you would bless me”
- Jabez asks for greater influence. “Expand my territory!”
- Jabez asks for God’s presence. “Please be with me”
- Jabez asks for God’s protection. “Keep me from all trouble and pain!”
PRAY FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY.
8 But those who won’t care for their relatives, especially those in their own household, have denied the true faith. Such people are worse than unbelievers. 1 Timothy 5:8 NLT
- Ask God for a job.
- Ask God for strength to work.
- Ask God for an idea for a business.
- God wants to bless us, but He is often waiting for us to ask with the right heart.
2 You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. James 4:2-3 NLT
PRAY FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO INFLUENCE FOR GOD’S KINGDOM.
“expand my territory!” 1 Chronicles 4:10
- Ask Him to give us more influence for His name.
- Our job is more than a way to provide financially, it’s an opportunity to influence for God’s Kingdom.
“Please be with me in all that I do” 1 Chronicles 4:10
- To have lasting influence, we need God’s presence in our lives.
PRAY FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO BLESS SOMEONE.
13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. 14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Galatians 5:13-14 NLT
- We are to be a conduit of God’s blessings.
- Ask God to show you opportunities to serve someone.
PRAY FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO SHARE YOUR FAITH.
18 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20 NLT
17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 2 Corinthians 5:17-18 NLT
Next Steps for me today…
- Ask God for His greatest blessing; salvation through Jesus Christ.
- Ask God for his blessings each day.
- Ask God for greater influence for Him each day.
- Ask God for His presence in your life each day.
- Ask God for His protection each day.